Friday, February 13, 2009

feeling sentimental


These days I'm feeling a little sentimental. I miss my grandparents and when I could call them up and just feel better at the end of the conversation. I miss my grandma's ways and how her days were like clockwork. Always out to lunch at 10:30; home in time for soaps all afternoon. She watched ANother World for 30 or more years. I miss how her house smelled and when it was time to leave her house she and my grandpa would try to give you all their leftover candies/cookies before you got out the door. She called it Schlekerei! I miss all the made up, combined broken German words & phrases that came out of our family. It's like a secret language that only we know. Jay laughs at me when I say the word out loud without realizing that no one else knows what in the world I'm talking about! My mom still says some of those words. I remember being 20 years old and realizing that I sound ridiculous saying words that don't exist. I swear I'm going to make a small Schenk dictionary to pass on to our kids so that these words aren't forgotten.


So, that's the reason for my music. My grandparents loved big bands. They danced every Saturday night in Canton, Ohio to all the big bands. Grandpa loved this Glenn Miller song and there were others, but this one in particular stands out to me. I never got to see my grandparents dance; I bet they were good. I loved the stories of their dancing days and all the shenanigans that went on. I'd give anything to hear them tell those stories one more time.


Ok, I'm getting too serious and I want to post the inspiration behind Lolly's. Sophie made this little fairy and I think she looks like a Lolly and that's how I came up with my store name. Sophie is an artist and loves to create. I love when we can do things together. Check out miss lolly.

No comments:

Post a Comment