Monday, June 15, 2009

Moni (hello!)

You know about 2 months ago Jay & I and two other couples finished up a six week bible study on margin in your life. We agreed that when our lives are so full and scheduled everyday that there's not much room for God or what God wants us to accomplish. The idea is to say no to the unnecessary things that just gets us crazy and let God do His thing in us and thru us. Spend more time with him in the bible and be still and let his opportunities come to us. When we're so busy there's not much time for him to work because we've got our days so crammed with "stuff!". We finished the study and I felt pretty good about our schedule. We had quit tae kwon do 3 nights a week and we had softball with Sophie and occasionally boy scouts, but our life seemed settled.

Anything would seem settled compared to the lightning speed we're running now. There is no room in our busy schedules for ANYTHING to go wrong. Jay has accepted a promotion so we're moving this summer. I'm going to Malawi with Hallie. Hallie is going to college. We bought a house in 5 days and are preparing to move out of our old one. THings are busy. I'm so busy that I don't think I've really thought about moving and leaving my friends; that's probably a good thing. I'll probably fall apart after we move and things slow down. I keep telling myself that this is not forever. We'll be back and we will stay in touch with friends.

Did I tell you I'm going to Malawi? I'm leaving this Friday morning and arriving in Malawi Sunday afternoon; that's a long travel time. I don't like to fly; it's definitely not my favorite thing to do. So, why am I going around the world? I've always been intrigued with Africa. I've been reading books on the plight of South Africa probably 20 years ago. You have to read Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane; it will leave you speechless thinking about how some people have to live. As a young boy, Mark dug for food at the dump. While looking for food, he found the corpse of a newborn baby in the garbage dump. It's heartbreaking. I just want to help in some small way. All of us were given talents and if each of us used our talent to help those less fortunate, then I believe there wouldn't be so much suffering. I don't believe we can all do the same thing or that we're called to do the same thing, but I do believe we are called to do something. So, although I'm nervous I'm also excited to be part of something great! I know God is going to do some miraculous things.

2 comments:

  1. I don't like to fly either, but I had some amazing times in prayer, just me, God & the big blue sky on my last flight. Praying for you & Hallie & looking forward to reading of amazing things that you experienced there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had a little time to blog hop tonight and enjoyed your blog. Happy 4th of July!!

    ReplyDelete