Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Today starts my journey

I have been on the fence for a couple months on going to Malawi on a mission trip. I wanted to go last year and then didn't and I wanted to go this year, but fear almost kept me from going. But, just as Peter got out of the boat and walked on water to Jesus, I too, need to get out of the boat. I feel His calling, but fear was talking a little louder. Not anymore.

I'm going to Malawi and my step-daughter Hallie is going with me. I've been saying that our mission trip begins June 19, but what I realized is that it is beginning for me today. Physically, our trip happens June 19, but today I am mentally preparing myself to go. THere is something so humbling, at least for me the person who needs help from no one, to send out letters to family and friends asking for prayer and financial support if the Lord has enabled them. My journey begins today.

So, I'm sending out letters this week. I'm ordering my shots from world outreach and I need a lot! I need Hepatitis A, Typhoid, Tetanus, polio booster and then I need malaria pills! April 13 is shot day, so I'll probably be a little overwhelmed! We are also starting to break out into small groups to plan vacation bible school for the children. I am most excited because I get to be on the activity group. We will be planning all the crafts - & I love crafts! We are all following and working out of the Youth Life Journal which gives us daily readings from the bible. We will begin sharing at our monthly meetings what God is doing in these readings. I feel so honored to be able to go on this journey with such a great group of kids; I have a feeling that they will teach me much more than I will teach them!

3 comments:

  1. Lori, this is a test message. If this allows me to comment, I'll say more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yooo Hooo!!!!!! I can comment... wow, I am humbled just to be able to follow along this journey with you and pray with you through this. I am so glad God chose me to be your friend. I just know that God has some very amazing stuff He is getting ready to reveal through all this and it's going to just be the beginning of something really big for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, I am so proud of you & your family for taking part in this profession of faith! We did receive your letter, but I only just now checked out your blog. I enjoyed reading the entries & the pics are wonderful. I will be praying for you & all those involved in your trip to Malawi. When I can I will send you a donation. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete