Thursday, January 28, 2010

Boys!

I hate the idea of using a cliche, but that's the only thing I can think of right now as I'm sitting down to write this post. "They grow up so fast." Christian is getting ready to turn 14 in a couple weeks and I can't hardly believe it. We just went to orientation to schedule his high school classes and let me tell you; that's another post in itself. His high school has four degrees to choose from! There's a regular diploma which may or may not get you into college. There's a diploma with honors (3 years foreign language + 2 AP classes which stands for advanced placement something beyond honors). There's International Baccalaureate -> my head started spinning when the counselor started talking about all the requirements for this diploma. I'm convinced the coursework is more involved than anything I did in college. And, then there's a diploma with honors in technology which is designed for students who want to graduate with more hands on training such as cosmetology or vet assistance or something like that. And, after 2 phone calls to the school counselor Christian decided on the honors diploma. We've mapped out the next four years and that's a little daunting realizing that after these 4 years he's going to college. Well, that's not wanted I wanted to blog about today, but thought it needed discussed.

Boys are such daredevils and I never thought that Christian would be that way. He's my worrier and my tender hearted boy. I still think of him as the 2 year old running across the bedroom floor in his batman pajamas. But, still here we are. Building skateboard ramps in our driveway and jumping them! Thinking of plans of what he can do next to top what he just did. And, then of course, I have to watch and take pictures. I really want to talk him out of doing it at all because I'm convinced he's going to get hurt. He just laughs....






Here we are into our 3rd year of wrestling and as much as I like to watch him; I'm nervous everytime he walks onto the mat. It's a total of 3-4 minutes of all out physical wrestling. It's pressure points and shoulders twisted to the max, it's bloody noses stuffed with toilet paper to continue the match. It's all I can do to watch him. If anyone could see me during his match they would probably laugh because I can't sit still and I grimace everytime he moves. The picture below shows Christian's finger which is about double the size it should be. He jammed it during practice and no amount of pulling would unjam it. So, it swelled and hurt to the touch. My suggestion was that he probably shouldn't wrestle at yesterday's match because his finger looked terrible and was tender to the touch. But, what do I know? "Can I have 2 advil and some ice; I'll be fine. I'm not missing this match." So, 2 advil later and ice on his finger he wrestled. His reasoning was that his finger could actually help him because it hurt so bad that when his opponent touched it it would make him wrestle harder and win.


Does this make any sense? Of course it does if you have boys!! They are daredevils and it doesn't matter how they were when they were little boys because at some point they realize that it's fun to push the limit . . .
And, I wouldn't want it any other way!!





1 comment:

  1. i love this post!!
    he's such a cutie.
    i miss you guys so much it's crazy.

    ReplyDelete