Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I've been sewing

I wasn't really sure what I wanted to say today. I've got a lot on my mind. One thing that is one of my favorite things to do when I need to "de-stress" is sew. Just wanted to share a couple of things that I've been doing these last couple of weeks. And, don't think that just because I've been doing a lof of sewing that I've been stressed because that's not always been the case. We've lived in our house about 7 months and I'm sewing all the curtains and bedding which takes a while! Which is something I'm not very good at; I get so excited when I finally decide what I'm going to sew that I cannot wait to get it finished and will work night & day to get it done.






This is Sophie's room and I just added these paper lanterns above her dresser. One is orange and the other a baby blue- doesn't really show up that well in the picture.


Here is Sophie's bed & I'm so happy with how it all turned out. Her comforter is a bright orange print with 5 complimentary print fabrics sewn on all in circles. The back of her comforter is a luxurious brown fleece & then I bound it in a lime green. The bed skirt is also the same various fabrics. I made a long bed roll pillow to go against the back of the day bed to soften it and then made her pillow with her name embroidered on it. She had blinds in her room and I liked those but needed to add some color so I covered the existing cornices with fabric and added more circles. And, then I finished her room with seat cushions for her window seats. Not bad for not using any patterns. Yeah, there's some mistakes in the things I sewed for her room, but Sophie loves it and that's all that matters.

This is what I did for Christian. I've been collecting his tshirts since he was in tball when he was 3 and FINALLY, had enough shirts using front and some backs to sew a tshirt quilt for him. I thought this would be great for him for Christmas because this is everything he loved in Franklin. It was tball, football, swim team, Moore elementary, Freedom, "sister for sale" tshirt, church camp - everything! So, there's 6 rows of 6 shirts on the front and 36 shirts on the back. My suggestion would be not to do what I did (again, no pattern so it was trial & error) and that is to not cut the shirts into squares periodically throughout the years. I had been cutting shirts and sewing them as I had collected shirts and that was ok until last month when I was sure that all the other shirts were 12" x 12" squares (of course, I didn't measure the old ones) and then as I continued sewing I realized they were 14" x 14" squares. So, Christians blanket has some definite mistakes but he sleeps with it every night and loves it. ANd, I think I've discovered that even though the blanket has some flaws in it; they just add to the character of it.


Here it is in it's entirety! Maybe this blanket is an analogy of our lives. A little flawed, but still perfect to the maker!!!
**** I'm learning this blog thing. Just added buttons to sell my adoption pendants & coffee bags on my blog!


3 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!! i can't wait to see the real thing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo adorable. Your t-shirt quilt looks better than mine, let me tell you, I took that thing apart about 10 times and was ready to throw in the towel.... but it's cozy. And then when we were cleaning out our attic I found a whole other tote of college T's..... grrrrrr! :)

    Do you even check your messages and e-mail? I'm desperate to talk to you and you KNOW what it's about and your not calling me. Okay, I can take a hint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. get outta town! These quilts ROCK!!

    ReplyDelete