Monday, January 11, 2010

New year- New look

Yep! Look at me looking like a REAL blogger; can you believe it? After all those months - nearly 8 - looking like your average Joe! Well, thanks to Blogs for a cause, I got a new style and I'm so happy with it. I love the quote, although I'm not sure who said it. Someday, I hope to be this person. I don't want to ever look back and say "Gosh, I wish I had helped that person. I wish I had extended a hand to that woman sitting all alone. I should have found out how that kid gets to school because his mom is working 2 jobs trying to make ends meet." I want to make a difference; I want to pass the baton to my kids so they can make a difference. I don't want them waiting until they're nearly 40 years old before they start loving the people that God puts before them. We are not called to be alone. We are called to love everyone and love cannot look away when someone is struggling.

I'm going to really honest right now; I struggle with homeless people. People around me believe that homeless people are just looking for money to buy alcohol; honestly, if I was living like them it might not be such a bad idea. I don't think anyone sets out to be homeless. Psych101 teaches that shelter is one of the basic needs of our being. But, still when I pull off the interstate and I see someone homeless, I feel bad, but I used to just drive on by. Here's the beauty of having kids; Christian tells me that while we're buying things to take to our church for a homeless shelter that we should make "love gifts" using gallon ziploc bags for the homeless on the streets and keep them in the car. So, that's what we did and we included - deoderant, bottled water, beef jerky, dried apples, raisins, toothbrush/paste & peanut butter crackers. And, every homeless person we've given them to has been so appreciative. Not one person said "no thanks." as was expected because it wasn't cash. It's been such an easy thing to do, but it's demonstrating to my kids that love does not look away. We can either be part of the solution or part of the problem. I want my kids to get it. Even Sophie gets excited when we see a homeless person so that we can hand out our love gift.

Oh, no! I'm blogging like Ondrea! Somehow I started out all proud of my new blog and ended up talking about teaching our kids how to love everyone.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE that idea girl! Such an important thing for our kids to see compassion in action! Way to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what, I don't think it's our responsibility to worry about what the homeless are doing with the money. It's only our responsibility to do what we can. I love that you made the goody bags though, this way you know exactly where it's going!

    I do love the new blog design. Be careful though, about getting too heavy, you'll have people telling you they don't come for the "preachy" posts! HAHAHAHAHA If ONLY!

    ReplyDelete