Saturday, January 31, 2009

music for the generations

Jay and I had the funniest conversation with Christian today while driving to his wrestling tournament. Just to get you up to speed; I am not fond of today's hip hop music. I know "our" music is so much better and he & I have had conversations about "his" music promoting killing and mistreating women & sex. It's terrible and he likes the beat and I make him by the clean versions of all the music or if it's too bad; we don't get it. Our music was so much better, but I don't mention that I was the biggest fan of Prince's "little red corvette" or Madonna's "like a virgin". I conveniently omit that. So, today, as we're driving Jay & I start singing to KC & the Sunshine Band. Christian is dying because our music is soooo bad! "Turn the station!" "How long do I have to listen to this?" It's fun reliving music. I remember singing it with my mom- I was about 6 and Jay was probably dating and 16! Anyway, we were singing "Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight!" And, then out of the mouths of babe "All genres of music talk about sex; country music, new music, old music- it's all the same. You're music isn't any different than mine." And, it made me laugh and realize that I've won a small battle that Christian could feel free enough with Jay & I to say that. I don't think I said anything about sex with my parents when I was 13. I talked to my friends, but not parents. So, we all laughed and agreed that most music does talk about sex, but the envelope gets pushed a little further with every generation and you have to decide at what point is too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment